Youth Employment Assistant
Outcome: This position serves companies Statement of Purpose by assisting in the implementation and ongoing success of "Youth Potential"
Project with Industry Program. This position will assist in providing youth with disabilities job and career
placement activities. This individual will coordinate job placement and retention activities.
General Summary: This position is responsible for the successful implementation of program activities of the
"Youth Potential" Project with Industry Program. The individual will be responsible for discussing program procedures with
potential participants, parents, other community-based organizations, schools, employers and the general public. This individual
will assist Program Coordinator and Placement Specialist in carrying out their responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions and Duties:
- The Employment Assistant will coordinate with company Assessment Coordinator assessment of youth's abilities, skills and aptitudes and career interest.
- The Employment Assistant will assist in setting up and organizing administrative and training space within Company's existing facility.
- Employment Assistant assists youth in completing appropriate intake forms; application, self-assessments, etc. The
Employment Assistant will enter appropriate data into Data System and arranges appointment with Program Coordinator.
- The Employment Assistant will explain the "Youth Potential" program to applicants, parents, family members, guardians, teachers and others.
- Assist in the production of "Youth Potential" program procedures and policies for implementation based on Inventory and research results.
- Employment Assistant will conduct follow-up calls and refer youth not employed to Placement Specialist for additional career resources.
- Develop support services and follow-up services tracking system to ensure grant reporting requirements are met.
- Provide appropriate "Youth Potential" services in coordination with other staff. Services include; assessment, job search assistance, job training, placement and support services.
- "Youth Potential" staff will coordinate with Workforce Solution Staff to determine referral process for youth enrolled in Workforce Solutions employment program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skill and Knowledge Requirements:
- Knowledge of employment and training programs for youth with disabilities.
- Knowledge of workforce development issues facing employers.
- Knowledge of program administrative procedures.
- Ability to effectively assess and prepare youth for job placement.
- Knowledge of job accommodation policies and procedures.
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with others.
- Ability to efficiently manage time and to complete multiple tasks accurately.
- Excellent computer skills using commonly used business programs such as Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently and to use experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals and to make appropriate decisions.
- Knowledge of state and federal vocational education and training regulations and benefits.
- Knowledge of state agencies and other nonprofit organizations serving persons with disabilities preferred
Education and Experience Requirements:
Required, Associate's Degree in Vocational Rehabilitation, Education, Training or other related field. Bachelors preferred.
Minimum 3-5 years relevant experience.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical
procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to
effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Math Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area,
circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram
form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical demands of the position:
- Driving is as needed.
- Lifting is rare between heights from 0 to 3 feet and occasional lifting from 3-5 feet.
- Normal vision is typically required
- Occasional grasping and use of small devices such as staplers, scissors, and tape dispensers.
- Operation of large machinery and exposure to dust and chemicals is rare.
- Reaching with hands, rotating hands either direction and using foot controls is rare.
- Requires occasional use of a standard telephone while hearing and talking
- Sits over 6 hours per day
- Stands and walks occasionally
- Typically works in a quiet environment.
- Use of a computer monitor, mouse and keyboard more than 6 hours per day
- Will rarely stoop, kneel or crouch
This job description can also be found in Word form here.