ADULT PAROLE/PROBATION OFFICER
EXAMPLES OF TASKS
(More specific information about the job can be found in the Purpose and Distinguishing Characteristics. This list contains tasks that are typically associated with the job. It is not all-inclusive and
may vary from position to position. Hiring agencies may,
depending on the specific nature of the position, modify these tasks and/or identify additional tasks, based on a current position analysis.)
- Adapts program(s) to meet specific needs or concerns.
- Analyzes, summarizes and/or reviews data; reports findings, interprets results and/or makes recommendations.
- Collects urine samples and/or administers Breathalyzer tests.
- Completes and reviews interstate compact requests.
- Conducts interviews to gather or clarify information.
- Conducts special investigations for the courts and/or boards and processes paperwork involved.
- Counsels clients to achieve adequate personal rehabilitation and social adjustments.
- Gathers background information, interviews clients and collateral contacts, visits residences, places of business, jails, etc;
evaluates credibility of sources, circumstances, and other related factors.
- Interacts with confidential informants and acts as an information liaison with other law enforcement agencies.
- Other tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
(This list contains KSAs that are typically associated with the job. It is not all-inclusive and may vary from position to position.
Hiring agencies may, depending on the specific nature of the position, modify these KSAs and/or identify additional KSAs, based on a current position analysis.
KNOWLEDGE OF THE FOLLOWING THEORY, PRINCIPLES, PRACTICES AND/OR CONTENT:
Agency and/or organizational program(s)
Arrest and detention procedures
Court/hearing, rules, records, procedures and protocol
The probation and parole rehabilitation process
SKILLS / ABILITY TO:
- Communicate information and ideas clearly, and concisely, in writing; read and understand information presented in writing
- Deal with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism
- Evaluate information against a set of standards
- Find, gather and collect information or data
- Maintain confidentiality
- Make a decision or solve a problem by using logic to identify key facts, explore alternatives, and propose quality solutions
- Operate and maintain weaponry
- Provide individual, group and/or family counseling
- Speak clearly, concisely and effectively; listen to, and understand, information and ideas as presented verbally
- The probation and parole rehabilitation process
- Use logic to analyze or identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts associated with information or data to draw conclusions
Job requires POST certification; Peace Officer Standards Training in your state.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS AND CHARACTERISTICS (Not position specific)
- The work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion such as frequent climbing of tall ladders, lifting heavy
objects over 50 pounds, crouching or crawling in restricted areas, defending oneself and /or others to physical attack.
Risks found in potentially dangerous or unusual environmental stress situations, e.g. working at great heights, working in extreme
outdoor weather conditions, being subject to possible physical attack, etc.
This job description can also be found in Word form here.