Senior Medical Secretary
SUMMARY: Works in a highly responsible and confidential environment.
- Able to work under stressful conditions
- Answers phone
- Calculate service charges for services rendered
- Completes forms
- Deals with death reports and certificates
- Inputs Inquest transcriptions into computer
- Keeps track of basic supplies and orders replacements as needed
- Makes and confirms appointments for supervisors
- May complete and sign cremation certificates with Coroner's authority
- May complete and sign death certificates with Coroner's authority
- May prepare older files for microfilming
- May supervise small unit staff
- Organizes and maintains files on death investigations
- Pays invoices
- Prepares and distributes reports
- Prepares appointment schedules for supervisors on a daily basis
- Prepares medical and toxicology reports
- Schedules meetings and visitor tours
- Screens calls for supervisor
- Takes and distributes messages
- Works with and interprets program policies
- Works with correspondence
All the above are performed in a specialized and confidential nature.
QUALIFICATIONS: Senior Medical Secretary must be able to perform stated job duties in an efficient, organized manner.
Usually a High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is necessary.
- Typing ability
- Ability to work with copiers and computers
- Understand general business procedures
- Experience in medical transcriptions
- Previous experience as a Medical Secretary
- Understand medical terminology
- Understand basic math
- Able to take and transcribe dictation
- Able to prioritize assignments
- Work independently
- Ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, correspondence, documents, records and memos. Self-confidence to work 1:1, in groups and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent is usually important.
- Use common sense to carry out written, oral and other forms of instruction
Will be required to sit for extended periods of times. Close and distance vision is necessary. Ability to work in fluctuating environments.
This job description can also be found in Word form here