On-Call Youth Counselor
Under the direct supervision of House Managers, Casework Supervisors, and/or the Drop-In Supervisor, the On-Call Youth Counselor's task is to
create a safe and caring therapeutic environment for high-risk youth in residence or who are present at our
drop-in facility. The position requires an individual who can actively contribute to a positive, stable, responsive
and responsible environment for change. Availability of hours varies. This position is not eligible for benefits.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ALL PROGRAMS
- Provide on-site supervision of youth.
- Provide crisis intervention and counseling to clients in care.
- Coordinate house activities while on primary coverage (house meetings, chores, meals, overall house cleanliness, etc.)
- Answer the information/referral phone and provide referral information as needed, making referrals where appropriate.
- Provide advocacy services, including informal counseling, and community referrals.
- Maintain a secure and safe facility.
- Maintain accurate case files; log entries, and other necessary client records. Complete an incident report on any facility
damage, medical emergency, or any incident, which occurs out of the ordinary daily functioning of the house.
- Organize and conduct daily/weekly outings and structured activities for youth in care.
- Two years of college with some experience working with at-risk youth preferred. Experience may be substituted for education on a year for year basis.
- Acceptance of a variety of lifestyles, behaviors, and cultural and spiritual practices.
- Stong personal boundaries.
- Competent keyboard and data entry skills.
Ability to perform moderate physical work, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and 10 to 20 pounds frequently.
Ability to ascend/descend stairwells within a 60-second time frame, a minimum of 10 times a shift.
POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Negative TB Test Certificate
Ability to Pass a DSHS Criminal History Check
Food Handler's Permit
First Aid Certification
HIV/AIDS Training (within 2 weeks of hire)
Valid WA State Driver's License or State ID
Social Security Card
Copy of last diploma or transcript
This job description can also be found in Word form here.